Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Day 2

Well, it's day 2 and I'm writing again. This is an achievement in itself. Yes, I'm proud.

Not that I have any idea what I'm actually going to say. Perhaps this is the point that I should heed my Uni tutors advice and decide on a context before I begin a new project. She has a point. 

It is incredibly hard to write if you don't know who or what it's for. You wouldn't write a letter if you didn't know who you were writing to. (I'd imagine.) I think this is probably applicable to most things in life. It's a concept many people struggled with at first - at the start of our 3rd year of University, we were informed we must decide on a context for our final major project before we even decide on a concept or idea. 

This may have seemed alien (and annoying) at first. Eventually it made sense to me. Whilst I was struggling to form an idea that I liked enough to research for half a year, yet wasn't too broad OR  wasn't broad enough so I'd run out of material - I was told to decide on where I thought my project belonged. Was I going to take pictures, make a film? Was it editorial, conceptual - was I going to create a feature film trailer or an advert for a fashion brand? It is important to make these decisions early on - lest you create a piece of work that has little or no use to anyone or anything. There's a reason advertising agencies will commission an artist or designer instead of shopping around for a project that 'fits' their idea for a brand.

There was no way I was going to do a project about the naked female body and try to pass it off as a submission to Good Housekeeping - it just doesn't make sense. Maybe it sets boundaries that might limit your creativity but I don't believe it really has any detrimental effect. If you were creating a submission to an art gallery or magazine you could probably be as free as you liked. But it helps to understand where your pictures, writing, music is going before you start creating it so that you understand your audience and what they want. It's not just about tailoring your art to fit into a certain mould - I think it's about clarity. The ideas will flow more freely if you have an inkling of the context for the end result.

Take this blog for example. I have no idea who, if anyone, is reading this and I haven't got a fucking clue what to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment